Thursday, June 7, 2007

the chase

It started at the beginning of the night when my friend Joe and I; two high school students that were on there way to college, were having a boring night. It was one of the last days that I was going to have my mother’s car so we were trying to find some enticement. Later that night we went to pick up my friend Greg and soon the enticement started. It went from giving up on the night to what we simply know as “the chase” through out a residential area. It seamed like the night went by fast while in memory it seamed to last forever.

It was the year 2006. My friend Joe and I were excited because graduation was around the corner. We had just got finished filling out our papers to go off to college. We tried to go to college together but his heart said Toledo as mine was shouting Ohio State. We were a little uptight during that day because we were arguing about where we should go to school. During this argument I tried to pursue him by saying “Ohio State has a good Business program.” He responded by saying “Forget that, I’m not going to a regional campus.” He went on saying “I thought you were going to have my back.” Then I ended by saying “Forget it, you can go where ever you want.” After tensions subsided we found ourselves getting bored. I had my mothers 2004 Buick Revandos, so we decided to go to the Richmond Town Mall in Richmond, Ohio. After entering the mall and doing a little window shopping we left the mall to go to his house to engage in some games of NBA Live.

We engaged in some games of NBA live. Since Joe and I were already in a in a bad mood, these games involved more shouting and stuff talking than usual. For example I would say “Buckets” after every point I scored. Then he would say “Forget that dude” after every time he would score on my best defender. A couple of hours had passed until I got a call from my friend Greg to pick him up from a more distant mall. So Joe and I finished our last game of NBA live and were off to Randall Park Mall.

On the way there the silence was like hearing a roach read an essay. We were both were still little mad over our College argument so Jay-Z was the only one in the car talking. Thirty minutes later Greg and a couple of his buddies hoped into the car and conservation resumed. We were talking about what we could do that night. There were the options of going to the movies, going to the club, and lastly going to house parity. The first option seamed at the time kind of gay. It wouldn’t look right to go into a movie with a bunch of dudes. The second option of going to the club was going to run over into the time I had to take my mothers car home. She said that the car had to be home by 12 o’clock. The club wasn’t going to let out until four o’clock so that option was out of the question.

What was the last option on our list quickly became the only option. We were on our way with a felling of uncertainty. Joe said “This doesn’t seam like a good idea.” The way that day was going something bad had to have happened to the house parity. As we pulled up we saw people leaving. When we asked why a couple of people answered “Five O shut the place down. I let out a loud “Fuck” and without wasting any time I put the car into drive and naturally rode away. All of our options were dead and it we figured that it was time to go home. Greg asked “Can we go to McDonalds.” And I was taking my anger out on everyone and I said “Whatever fat boy.” On our way home we went to mc Donald’s. As we were getting our orders we saw a couple of ladies pull up in a blue Honda accord.

We decided to try to try to talk to them. Conservation got started from car to car. Towards the end of the conversation I said to the driver of the car “Let me get your number.” She was like “Only if you catch me.” And then she blew me a kiss. I was not about to go chasing her but everyone in my car was telling me to chase her. I started barking like a dog in joking purpose as I switched the car from park to drive and headed the same way the Honda was going. The car started speeding up and that’s when the chased began. Down side streets we went. The rush of doing 45 down a neighborhood street made me feel alive. I had to worry about so many things like the threat of the cops too making sure that nothing hoped in my way. After a couple of turns the car in front of me came to a stop. I was able to keep up, and it was time to get that number.

The passengers asked a couple of my friends to get out the car. I shouted “Noooooooooo” but those walking hormones could help themselves. As they reached the Honda there was a little conservation. In ten seconds the sound of mission failed left in a big “Skirttttttttt”ing noise as the ladies hurried up to pull off. As fast as they tried to get in the car was about the same time that they were gone. We tried to hurry them up but when everyone got back into the car they were gone. The chase that seamed to have last forever was over.

On the way home there was light conservation about what had just happened. It was clear to everyone in the car that I was the best driver. Everyone who got out the car was getting grief from everyone who didn’t get out the car. The conversation ended with laughs and light jokes. After I dropped everyone off Joe and I talked about how our day went from boring to fun. “Its amazing how I was having such a bad day that it ends like this.” I replied “You and me both dude.” We let things go and we told each other that it don’t matter where we going to college as long as we go. It seamed that the chase was what we needed to lighten the mood. We were more open to going to places that we were more comfortable with that just going to places where we were both there.

In the end we didn’t realize how that day would stick with us. Every time that we bring up a fun moment the day of the chase comes up. After starting so boring the day ended with a high speed chase. That’s something that between us two that we will never forget.

No comments: